The shipping manager is focused on the successful daily operations and continuous improvement of the team responsible for packing and shipping products for same-day shipping both nationally and internationally. A successful shipping manager must be a strong communicator and problem solver who is jointly focused on quality and productivity to ensure all packages are shipped before the deadline while driving improvements
- Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output.
- Solve problems that arise daily and show flexibility and ingenuity to hit the department’s Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- Supports project teams in-process quality activities by educating, coaching, and mentoring others on process improvement philosophy, tools, and application.
- Be able to make decisions quickly in a high energy environment while keeping a focus on what is in the best interest of customers.
- Coordinate with Customer Service and respond via email, phone, and verbally to questions and issues regarding packages, orders, and shipments. Identifying ongoing themes to address through improvement activities.
- Ensure correct shipment of national, international, and hazardous material orders by following legal regulations and company policies.
- Assign duties and examine work for precision, completeness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for tracking and managing department labor hours according to the yearly budget
- Study and standardize processes and procedures to improve the efficiency and accuracy of workers.
- Coordinate with other departments, such as picking, inventory management, and quality assurance, to ensure the achievement of daily and long term goals.
- Maintain harmony among workers and resolve labor issues to keep turnover within department low
- Manage a team of mechanics/operators
- Manage, track and document employees’ attendance and performance compared to department metrics.
- Identify and reward employees’ strengths and help them develop their opportunities with regular coaching and counseling to improve performance.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Work with Human Resources staff to recruit, develop, and engage employees
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, obligations, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Experience
- Business Acumen.
- Continuous Improvement Mindset and experience.
- Ability to wear multiple hats.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Great decision-making skills.
- Self starter with initiative.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Technical Capacity.
- Time Management Skills.
- Must have 5+ years of management experience.
- Flexible Schedule including occasional Sundays.
- Experience with PowerPoint, Excel, and AS400.
- Must be bilingual.
- Quality Control proficiency is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally lift up-to 50 pounds.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Monday through Friday.
- Sundays will be required to work during peak season or special closings dates
- Must be able to have a flexible schedule. There will be times operations hours may change to meet business needs.
Serving customers for more than 35 years, Adorama has grown from its flagship NYC store to include the leading online destination for photography, imaging, and consumer electronics. Adorama's vast product offerings encompass home entertainment, mobile computing, and professional video and audio. At the same time, its services include an in-house photo lab, AdoramaPix, pro equipment rental at Adorama Rental Company and the award-winning Adorama Learning Center, which offers free education for photographers in video channels such as the popular AdoramaTV.
Adorama is listed as one of the top five electronics retailers by Consumer Reports, "Best of the Web" by Forbes.com, Internet Retailers Top 100, and is the official Electronics Retailer of the NY Giants.
We at ADORAMA believe in respecting & encouraging diversity and as such we gladly abide by all EEOC regulations. We will never turn down a qualified employee based on race, religion, gender, sexual-identification, disability, or any other protected class. All jobs are and will continue being awarded based on merit.